(Makes 4 servings)
It doesn't matter the season, this salad will always make you think summer. Although most of the veggies are at their peak during the summer months, you can get them all year long. The eggs and beans provide protein so this can easily be your entire meal!
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 cup champagne vinegar
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ cup olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1 small avocado, pitted
6 cups spinach
3 carrots, washed
1 small red onion
½ pint cherry tomatoes
1 cucumber, peeled
1 green bell pepper, cored
1 red bell pepper, cored
3 large celery ribs
⅓ pound green beans, topped and tailed
1 cup button mushrooms, chopped
4 large eggs
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Place eggs in saucepan large enough to hold them in single layer. Add cold water to cover eggs by 1 inch. Heat over high heat just to boiling. Remove from burner and cover pan. Let eggs stand in hot water about 12 minutes for large eggs (9 minutes for medium eggs; 15 minutes for extra large). Drain immediately and cool under cold running water or in bowl of ice water.
- Once the eggs are completely cooled, chop.
- Prepare the vegetables-chop the avocado, spinach, onion, cucumber, bell peppers, celery, green beans, and mushrooms; shred the carrots and half the tomatoes.
- In a bowl, whisk together mustard, champagne vinegar, shallot and pepper. Drizzle in olive oil, whisking vigorously, until well blended.
- In a large bowl toss all salad ingredients together. Drizzle with dressing and toss again to coat.